When you commission Ruby Design to build you a website with a content management system, we want to deliver a top quality service, on time and on budget.
It’s important that you know exactly what you’re getting, so here are our general terms of business. We’ve kept them simple, and we hope that you will find them fair. If you’re unsure about any of this, please give us a call.
We will always provide you with a written quotation before starting any work, detailing the project scope. If your requirements change after the initial quotation, we’ll discuss these changes with you, and we may need to quote separately for additional work.
If your requirements mean that you need some of the things that aren’t included here, please let us know and we can include them in our quotation to you.
What is included
Cross browser testing
We’ll test your site to make sure it looks good in the latest versions of the following browsers:
- Mozilla Firefox for Windows
- Google Chrome for Windows
- Apple Safari for Mac OS X
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 for Windows
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 for Windows
If you specifically need your site to support any other browsers, such as Internet Explorer 7, let us know and we can quote accordingly.
An accessible website
We build sites according to best practices, and take accessibility guidelines into account in our designs.
If you need to comply with specific accessibility standards such as WCAG AAA, please let us know and we can quote accordingly.
Instructions and Training
Your content management system should be user-friendly and fairly intuitive. Sometimes we all need a little help, so we’ll prepare a manual specific to your CMS, and arrange a training session, either face-to-face or by videoconference, to make sure that you’re well equipped to take control of your website.
If you need more help, we're happy to provide additional training sessions, but we would charge for this.
We have a secure project management system online at http://project.rubydesign.co.uk, where you can keep up-to-date with our progress.
We will use this to discuss aspects of the project with you – we find it’s easier to keep everything in one place, rather than having to wade through email trails. You’ll receive emails if there’s anything that requires action from you.
During the testing process you will be able to use this system to notify us of any bugs with your site.
You can also use this system to view your quotes and invoices at any time.
What isn’t included
We will build a content management system for you, and give you the tools to create your own text.
If you don’t have time to do this, we'll be happy to help, but we’ll charge you for our time.
If we spot spelling, punctuation or grammar mistakes in your text, and if we have time, we’ll fix them. We won’t guarantee to read your text thoroughly, because we’re busy focusing on the design and technical aspects of your website or print project.
If you need proofreading services, please let us know – we can do this for you for an additional charge.
If it’s right for the design of your site, we will help you find good stock images. They cost money, though, so we will put together a preview of the site using stock images, and let you know how much it will cost to buy those images.
We can also recommend some good photographers if you need your own images.
We can also offer illustration services, but we would charge separately for this.
Mobile site design
We love working with the latest technology, and we’re very keen to build your site with a responsive design so it will look good on a range of devices. However, that takes time, and increases the cost to you, so we don’t include this in our standard rates. If you would like us to build your site so that it will adapt to the device it is viewed on, please let us know.
Search Engine Optimisation
We aren’t SEO specialists, but we’ll give you the tools to edit your meta tags and text in order to ensure that your site is optimised to do well in search engines.
We can also give advice on web analytics, and point you in the right direction.
If you’re having trouble with your email or your printer, or any other aspect of your computer, we can help you. This help isn’t part of a web design and development project, so we would charge you at our standard hourly rate for this support.
Web hosting and domain registration
If you prefer to arrange your own hosting, we can install your site on alternative servers. In general, we will not charge you for this, although if your hosting environment requires us to perform additional work, we may charge you for this at our standard hourly rate.
It's important to make sure that your site is secure. Drupal and Wordpress are both updated regularly with protection against hacking and other attacks, and we recommend that you ensure your site is running the latest version. We will provide you with instructions on how to update the software, but if you would prefer us to do this for you, we would charge for our time.
What you can expect from us
- We will deliver work on or before any agreed deadlines. If that isn’t possible, we will let you know as soon as possible.
- We will develop your site according to best practices.
- We will use open source code so that you will be able to engage any suitably experienced developer to extend our work. We hope that you will be happy enough with our work that you would choose to use us for your future requirements.
- We will maintain the confidentiality of any information you give us.
- We will develop your site using an agile approach, and give you the opportunity to test the functionality of the site before it is launched.
- We will give you a copy of all project files so that you can keep your own backup.
What we can expect from you
- When we provide designs or test sites, you will review our work and provide feedback in a timely manner. If it takes you a long time to provide feedback, we may need to revise the project deadlines.
- Before the site goes live, you will review it for any errors, such as spelling mistakes.
- You will pay us within the timescales agreed at the start of the project.
- You will provide us with text and images in an agreed digital format.
- Any text, images or other materials that you supply will not infringe copyright.
We will create designs for the look-and-feel, layout and functionality of your web site. This contract includes one main design plus the opportunity for you to make up to two rounds of revisions. If you're not happy with the designs at this stage, you will pay us in full for all of the work that we have produced until that point and you may either cancel this contract or continue to commission us to make further design revisions at the daily rate set out in our original estimate.
We can't guarantee that the functions contained in any web page templates or in a completed web site will always be error-free. We are not liable to you or any third party for damages, including lost profits, lost savings or other incidental, consequential or special damages arising out of the operation of or inability to operate this web site and any other web pages, even if you have advised us of the possibilities of such damages.
If any provision of this agreement shall be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from this agreement and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
When we receive your final payment for the project, copyright will be assigned as follows:
- You own the graphics and other visual elements that we create for you for this project.
- You own the text, photographs and other data provided by you.
- We own the source code and we license it to you for use on only this project.